[GRLUG] Raid, LVM, and Cheap Storage

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 08:39:32 EDT 2008

>> > Only blown filesystem
>> > I've ever had was a ReiserFS - that was simple, don't use ReiserFS.
>> Maybe Hans can fix that, if they let him have a computer in his cell.
>> He'll definitely have lots of free time, for the rest of his life!  ;-)
>
> I think time has passed by for ReiserFS anyway.  ext3 now supports
> indexed directories, there is tmpfs, even XFS is improved...

Why does SuSE still have ReiserFS as their default FS?
That's just annoying.  I wish they'd change that!

And let me also take a jab at Ubuntu for equal time:
Why does Ubuntu not allow the /boot partition to be XFS (saying the
system may not boot)?  [Open]SuSE doesn't care, and I've never had a
problem booting off a XFS partition w/grub!

>> VMware is great for combining old hardware, especially servers with
>> low resource requirements (like Linux firewalls).
>
> I've consolidated servers with high resource requirements. :)  So far
> I'm nothing but impressed regarding performance; part because even
> "busy" servers spend a fair amount of time idle and current servers have
> *8* cores...

I moved about a dozen low-resource servers (firewalls, routers, DNS
servers, ftp server, mrtg, etc.) into one VMware ESXi server, along
with a couple resource hogs (OpenNMS, OOo for thin clients), and it
still has plenty of power to spare.

It'll be interesting to see how many virtual machines I squeeze onto
that VM server.

 - BS