[GRLUG] GRCC

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:38:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 15:04 -0400, Ben DeMott wrote:
>> I contacted Eric Mullen (the student life director at GRCC) about a
>> month ago.
>> I asked him about the status of the computer club, and if they need
>> any Mentors or people to help out.
>> He recently emailed me back and said the computer club was up in the
>> air at the moment, but he wanted to stay in contact.
>> I thought I would ask here if that interests anyone or if anyone has
>> any input as far as being involved with the Local College.
>
> This is pretty vague.  What do they want to do?  What are they
> interested in? etc....  A guy at barcamp said the GRCC computer club was
> essentially moribund as far as he knew (I attended GRCC back in the days
> of UUCP and Yggdrasil).

(Background info: I was VP of Computer Club for a year, then President
for two years.  I'm also on the list of people who get club
announcements. After I left, there was a period while the clubs
executive roles shuffled around, a lot of mistakes were made, and the
club had its reputation tarnished.  Currently, though, it's being led
by someone who knows what they're doing, and it's getting back on
track.)

The Computer Club's interests change each year; They have a meeting
each Fall and decide what they'd like to do for the year, then they go
out and do it.  The one thing that was wildly successful for a long
time was the free PC Clinic.  I don't believe they've settled on what
they want to do for this year.

I believe they're planning on renaming the club to "IT Force" this year.

>> We could possibly come to some mutual understanding, or it could give
>> us an alternate place to meet?

I brokered an exchange between a member of this list, the President of
the Computer Club and the director of Student Activities at GRCC.  The
list member (Feel free to speak up if you read this...) wanted to set
up a Linux club at GRCC, and I recommended that they do it as a
subgroup of the Computer Club.

There are restrictions on that, though; College-supplied funds can't
be used to the direct benefit of non-students.  However, room
reservations shouldn't be a problem (I once subbed for Szymon in
hosting a GRLUG meeting while simultaneously running the Computer
Club), and the club has its own fundraising that allows it to be more
flexible with its money.

It's a definite possibility.

> I was in contact with someone (don't remember who) at GRCC awhile back
> about a meeting place for MOSG <http://www.mosg.org/>.  They were
> interesting in providing a meeting place, but only during the day, which
> pretty much ruled out participation of any group members (that whole
> "jobs" thing).

The Computer Club normally meets from 4-6PM on Thursdays, and, last I
checked, that area of the college typically has rooms available in the
evening.  It's just a matter of getting the room reservation and
(depending on whose name the reservation is in) having club members
and/or a club advisor present.  A 6PM-9PM time slot shouldn't be hard
at all, if I'm up-to-date on how everything works right now.