[GRLUG] Solid State Drives

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:28:18 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> ya, that is a downside but its cheep enough to toss when it dies. Odd
> thing is, I have a 2gb flash drive for the os and i'd have a 4gb memory
> stick for swap. The prices sure have come down.

Here's the problem.  If you get random memory corruption, all kinds of
bad things can happen.  If your kernel code or data gets corrupted,
you'll be lucky if you get a kernel panic and not silent filesystem
corruption.  If you're using FUSE, the corrupted memory doesn't even
need to be in kernel space.