[GRLUG] Solid State Drives

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 14:36:03 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 1:33 PM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM,  <topher at wcsg.org> wrote:
> Could one use a usb mem stick for swap? they are real cheep (disposable)
> and getting faster. I'd got a 2gb flash drive I've been tempted to play
> with more.

Remember what swap is...it's an on-disk representation of data that
should by all rights be in RAM, but there's no room for it at the
moment.  That means that having your swap drive go bad is tantamount
to random memory corruption.

That said, I've tasted that fruit in the past, and it's pretty sweet.
:-)  If you go that route, buy a KINGMAX USB stick.  That's as
physically small as you're going to find, so there's less risk of
bumping it and breaking it or your USB port.