[GRLUG] Does anyone know PBX - Asterisk

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 21:46:31 EST 2008

One of these days, I'd like to play with an asterisk (or derivative)
myself.  someone I know suggested Trixbox [http://www.trixbox.com/]
and reviews seem favorable.  Tons of features.  there's also the
freebsd based Askozia [http://www.askozia.com/pbx/].  I'm fond of
m0n0wall/pfsense bsd based firewalls and imagine this product is just
as simplified as well.

I thought of using client software on a PC and run-o-da-mill headsets.
 since everyone has a pc on their desk, it's gotta be cheaper than
buying ip phones.  Like I said, one of these days...  Right now we use
a Picazo/Dash phone system.  Runs on FreeDOS and quite archaic.

G-

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Bill Creswell <billcreswell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am on the board of a non-profit, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, and we
> are moving to a new location.
> I am not particularly familiar with phone systems or requirements, but I
> have heard the costs may run into the tens of thousands of dollars, which we
> don't have.
> After reading this http://www.chayden.net/Asterisk/SeUpAsteriskAtHome.htm
> I began to wonder what might be necessary to setup a decent system.
> We do need voice for the receptionist, and a few employees, and the rest
> will be using Video Phones which, as I recall, just run off the internet
> service. So it would seem to me overkill, to spend large sums of money for a
> few extensions. Therefore, it is possible that a smaller PBX system run off
> Asterisk may do the trick.
> Does anyone know about this stuff?
> Is anyone willing to donate some time/knowledge, or discount some
> "professional" installation?
> Or even know a cheap way for a small non-profit to get phone service?
> Thanks,
> Bill
>
> --
> http://billcreswell.wordpress.com