[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Wed Nov 19 15:10:08 EST 2008

I mostly agree. But, I think that the 12 new nuke plants are a good
thing. Nuclear plants can generate electricity in large quantities and
with fairly low waste. So far we don't have a really big shortage of
Uranium.

But, I've heard that we could satisfy the energy needs of our country by
blanketing an area like 20x20 miles with solar cells. We have a lot of
free space in this country. Why not blanket big patches of wasteland in
cells?

BTW, capacitors ARE efficient at energy storage. They just tend to leak.
;) But over the short term they store energy with nearly 100%
efficiency. Do me a favor. Get a tube TV. Plug that sucker in and turn
it on. Now take out the capacitor linked to the flyback transformer and
sit it on a shelf for a month. Come back and grab the terminals while
standing barefoot. Now tell me capacitors suck at charge storage.