[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Matt Michielsen matt at michielsen.us
Wed Nov 19 14:35:16 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Collin Kidder <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:

> An electric motor can be made darn near 100% efficient. As a bonus
> electrical lines are found almost everywhere. It's like a built in gas
> station in every building you see. So, I do believe that electric cars
> will end up being the way forward.

I agree with this completely.  And while AC motors are more efficient, I
believe that DC motors are at least the short-term answer to this problem
due to the complexity of the battery-to-AC inefficiency problem.  I'm going
to start investigating motors and controllers and try to start putting
something together.  As I discussed last night with Casey, maybe we should
start some sort of local electric vehicle enthusiast group.  It sounds like
there's plenty of interest here alone.

-mm