[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Rick Vargo rick at vargo.org
Wed Nov 19 13:06:21 EST 2008

I did some research on this a while back and there are some companies
out there that make conversion kits for older vehicles that allow you to
bolt specific DC electric motors to your transmission (specifically I
was looking at converting an S10). It was a relatively simple process
but was cost prohibitive at the time (DC motor, charging station,
converter, batteries, and plans = $$$). Basically you pulled your motor
and replaced it with the DC motor with the converter, then a bit of
wiring changes to the car (including adding electric heat) and filling
up your truck bed with lead acid batteries. You can even add a solar
panel to topper/tonneau cover to help charge the batteries while
driving... The truck small pickup is a nice choice for this project
because it can hold more lead acid batteries thus extending your range.

Rick