[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC Electric Car

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:04:36 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Collin Kidder <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:
> I know a couple of people (one in California) who are interested in
> electric cars as well. The California man is actually turning an old
> 1950's Mercedes 190SL into an electric car. The idea is intriguing and
> I've done some research on it as well. Currently it seems to normally be
> overly expensive and burdensome but the technology keeps improving. At
> this point in time it's viable so long as you don't drive more than
> about 100 miles a day. And no further than 50 miles from a power outlet. ;-)

The electric company could make a killing if they could authenticate
power consumption.  Say, an X10-like-signal to let the building's
power meter know to bill X kW/hr to such-and-such instead of the
building's normal utility bill.  Then you could plug in anywhere with
an updated power meter and a correctly-wired 220V outlet.