[GRLUG] Comcast and blocking port 25 delivery

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Nov 13 16:44:15 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 13:03 -0500, Colin Vallance wrote:
> <snip>
> On Nov 12, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > I was, now am doing an alternate port, with exactly the same
> > restrictions.
> >
> > IOW

<snip>
> > Because Comcast say they are being anti-spam proactive.
> >
> > Whatever.
>
> ssh  -L 8025:localhost:25 mycolocserver.tld
> SMTP setup using 8025
>
> I know that's not the most elegant solution but I've been doing it for
> quite some time now and it does the trick.  Then again, when I lose my
> ssh connection my mail client says "hey...where'd the server go?".
> I've debated setting up keys and using an apple script to open and
> close my ssh tunnel when Mail tries to send something.  It's always
> come down to managing the connection when I'm sending email (i.e.
> restart session if down since I'm at the console) or setup keys and
> password-less authentication to my server so I can set and forget.
> Somehow something inside me says don't do keys since if my box is
> rooted my server may as well be too.  Who knows...I swear it all makes
> sense in my head...

One other thing, I use "autossh" in a few places to maintain port
redirects to some of our direct customers that do not want a VPN... so
we can print to them directly.

http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/

Works exceptionally nice, never gives up trying and can be started as a
"system" startup process.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2