[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Nov 11 00:40:54 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 12:37 -0500, Collin Kidder wrote:
> So... I had been using x86_64 Arch Linux on my laptop for quite some
> time. I decided I'd like a change so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu
> 8.10, Debian 4.0r5, and Fedora 10 beta. I tried the 64 bit version of each.

Good selection to test... well barring one.

> I'm somewhat shocked but of all four distros I found only Ubuntu to
> really be to my liking.
>
> Arch was great for tweaking and is always on the bleeding edge but has a
> fairly small community and seems better for people who really want to
> tweak linux a lot. I'm over that, I just want to develop apps in linux
> and use it for my desktop.

Reasonable, I like things like this, but see the next comment.

> Debian was total garbage. Absolutely nothing worked right at all. The nv
> and nvidia drivers were totally borked in Debian and could not find the
> LCD on my laptop at all. The other three distros had no such trouble.
> Debian also did not like my 3945 wireless card. Maybe Debian is a great
> distro if it works on your hardware but they screwed the pooch bad for
> my hardware.

Right there... Debian 4.0r5. 1.5+ years old. Lenny please. (yes its
testing) but I have to tell you that I use Debian Sid daily and have for
many years. I haven't had any issues. Of course I specifically bought my
Laptop with "Open Source Drivers" in mind. I bought a StinkPad T61.