[GRLUG] Netbook OS (was: The battle of the distros)

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:22:22 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Colin Vallance <grlug at tankrip.com> wrote:
> So while we're on the topic of distro nitpicking...
>
> Has anyone bought/used any of the "netbooks" that are out?  I'm
> thinking hardware like the Acer Aspire one and the Asus Eeepc.  If so
> what do you think of their custom tweaked linux distros and have you
> swapped them out for something else?

I'd be wary of Acer hardware.  I've been running an Acer Aspire (With
a WXGA screen...not the netbook form factor) for eight months, and
while Ubuntu runs well enough on it with some tweaks, it's starting to
get annoying.  Things like the laptop release switch are coming apart,
the touchpad is positioned such and sensitive such that my hand
sometimes brushes its region of sensitivity while I'm typing, and the
wireless toggle button is also positioned such that I occasionally hit
it while picking up the laptop or even resting my hands.