[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Nov 10 13:25:12 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:37:13PM -0500, Collin Kidder wrote:
[snip]
> 8.10, Debian 4.0r5, and Fedora 10 beta. I tried the 64 bit version of each.

[snip]
> Debian was total garbage. Absolutely nothing worked right at all. The nv
> and nvidia drivers were totally borked in Debian and could not find the
> LCD on my laptop at all. The other three distros had no such trouble.
> Debian also did not like my 3945 wireless card. Maybe Debian is a great
> distro if it works on your hardware but they screwed the pooch bad for
> my hardware.

I installed Debian on my laptop with the 3945 wireless card which works
fine.   The kernel version in Debian 4.0r5 requires the ipw3945 driver,
which is not part of the kernel (I think it was added around 2.6.24 or
.25).  On install, it does some wonky things with the device name, but I
was able to get it to work.  On Debian Lenny (5.0) the kernel has
support for 3945 built in (plus the proprietary firmware) with iwl3945.

I don't have an nVidia in it but X was easy to get working properly.  I
bet with a little effort Debian could be made to work properly.  Oh, and
installing Debian Etch (4.0r5) is kind of pointless now that Lenny is
soon to release.

[snip]

--
john-thomas