[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Mon Nov 10 12:59:38 EST 2008

> A proper distro war thread! (Apologies to Topher for hijacking his
> SuSE thread...)
>
> I have two complaints about Ubuntu.
>
> First, they deviate from standard packages and techniques.  Some of
> their management applets don't interact well with standard
> configuration files (Take network management as an example...).
>
> Second, documentation for their proprietary* programs is sorely
> lacking.  Which exacerbates my first complaint.
>
> * When I say "proprietary", I mean "You wouldn't run that program on
> anything else."  update-manager is proprietary. apt-get is not.

The previous thread is what got me off my butt and downloading distros
to see what I'd like.

I can't disagree with either of your points. I've found it a bit awkward
when I try to edit things from the command line only to find that they
don't have configuration files where I expect them or in the format I
expect them to be in. It makes it a lot easier to just give up and use
their GUI tools...