[GRLUG] The battle of the distros

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 12:53:43 EST 2008

(But Ubuntu is Debian - argument ensues)
I won't be correcting you, I think both the Fedora and Ubuntu team's have
done an excellent job of just getting things to 'work'.
I'm not an expert on compiling and to me it's really frustrating to find
common applications or packages that I HAVE to compile for my kernel, to
often find using make && makefile has errors or something  goes... I just
don't have the time for it.

I use Linux as a Desktop environment myself as well, and it has come time to
buy a Laptop (my work is forcing me to use one) - I think I may make the
switch to a Mac Book. Besides being able to develop in Cocoa you can run
Windows, and Linux on a Mac ...

I'm sure there will be the onslaught of people telling me why Debian, or
Slackware are more fit distributions... but maybe I'm not 1337 enough to
handle them ;) .
People can argue that Lisp is the greatest logic language ever to be
written, and yet for some reason none of my co-workers know what it is.

In the end the more popular open source projects seem to have popularity for
a reason, especially without formal advertising.