[GRLUG] Suse

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:17:30 EST 2008

> After years of avoiding it, it looks like I'm going to be trying Suse
> tomorrow.  Our engineer bought an HP 2133 with Suse pre-installed.
> As I recall it's rpm based,

Yep.

> and uses a package manager called Yast.  I was

Zypper is the package manager, which can be managed via the YaST2 GUI.

> once a fedora guy, so I can deal with rpms etc.
> Is there anything particularly interesting about Suse?

No,  it is a LINUX distribution.  They are all 99.9% the same.

> It was a KDE
> distro back in the day, but I think I heard they switched to Gnome.

Yes.

> The official web site is particularly un-helpful.  :(

Verses recreating every document and HOWTO like the Ubuntu crew enjoys?
Yep, the website ain't great.  Hardware support is very good and I enjoy
the sane granularity of the packaging.  Most everything about openSUSE
will apply to SLED, which is what I believe the HP2133 has installed.  I
got to play with one at Ohio LINUX 2008.