[GRLUG] fat32 to ntfs

Bruce Smith blubdog at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:58:24 EDT 2008

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Microsoft has had the ability to convert from FAT16/32 to NTFS for
many years.  I remember doing it back on a NT box (back when NT was
the latest).

I've never had a problem with it, but as with anything like this, I'd
backup first.

I've also done it on the Windows drive (C:) without any problems.
IIRC, you run the command and reboot, and the actual conversion is
done during the boot process.

Also, make sure that's what you really want to do.  I'm fairly sure
there is no easy way to convert back from NTFS to FAT32 (without a
back/format/restore, or fresh install if it's a Windows partition).

 - BS