[GRLUG] USB Sound card

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu May 15 01:15:46 EDT 2008

It's time to get a new sound card for my desktop.  To avoid as much
electrical noise as possible, I'm planning on getting an external USB
device I can situate on top of my stereo (with the help of a long USB
cable), rather than running the audio cables six feet past a bunch of
noise sources.

Anyone have good Linux experiences with recent USB audio devices?
Preferably experiences that don't require special drivers?  I know
there's a standardized USB audio spec that works pretty well; I once
had a sweet pair of headphones that worked that way.  But I've also
encountered USB audio devices that required drivers only available on
Windows...