[GRLUG] List Moderation

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed May 14 10:11:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:55:18AM -0400, Justin Denick wrote:
> We should really think seriously about list moderation. I don't who is
> maintaining this server anymore,
> but perhaps they might adjust the spam settings to discard any message
> containing certain buzz words like
> "top posting". We may even extend that to include messages that only
> serve to discredit our lists' reputation and inflame
> our attitudes. The moderator may then choose to suspend the
> individuals' grlug account for a week or so.
>
> The constant discussion of RFC standards for electronic communication
> has made me
> wonder if we don't look more like the Email Police and less like Linux
> enthusiasts! Imagine what a prospective
> employer or recruitment firm thinks when reading our threads. I know
> they've read our posts, I've had them
> mentioned to me by a respected staffing firm.

I thought this issue was dead.  I find it ironic that said "constant
discussion of RFC standards" was started by a confessed newbie who idly
wondered why many on the list prefer to B077om p0$t (so this gets by the
"filter" ;-).  It was a very insightful question born of astute
observation.  My answer in response was brief and respectful and pointed
the questioner to a fuller answer elsewhere on line (so as to not get
into the subsequent discussion).  Those who have complained the loudest
about this issue have yet to offer a legitimate reason to alter what
has been the accepted standard for *decades*.  I find it interesting
that those who side with the long-accepted standard are the ones being
chided as rabble-rousers while those who violate this standard are held
up as champions of freedom.  "How dare you violate my freedom to smoke
by asking me to not blow smoke in your face!"

I have been a part of the GRLUG mailing list since 2001.  I have seen a
number of people come and go.  I remember people like Ann (do we have
any women on here anymore?) and Jim and Van.  The discussions on this
list are often helpful and educational.  Part of the education needs to
be how best to communicate.  Over the years (I have ~12,000 messages in
my GRLUG mbox) we have had the discussion of proper posting and
formatting of messages a number of times.  Some choose to post very
narrow columns of text.  Some choose to post in HTML with CSS. Some
choose to post one long run-on line that does not wrap properly.
These things prompt discussion.  I have yet to see a comment akin to
"you post in HTML, therefore I hate you; go away."  A discussion may
devolve into that but rarely has it done so.  These discussions will
continue to take place, and need to take place from time to time.  If
the GRLUG is going to implement a policy of censoring specific topics
then ban me now.  I have no interest in stirring up dissension.  I do
not wish to be adversarial.  My interest is in better communication.
Several have pointed out the advantages of bottom posting.  Decades of
online communication, be it mailing lists or USENET, have confirmed
that it is the best method of attribution and ongoing dialogue.  The
response to decades of affirmation has been "it's easier for me to
top-post" or "I prefer top-posting."  Contrast that to "it's easier for
*everyone else* when you bottom-post."

What I am really getting at is if this list has gotten to the point
where we will ban users for discussing the technical aspects of
communication on this list, I am not sure I want to be a part of it
anymore.  I love the GRLUG.  If the meetings were not on Thursday
evenings (I lead a Bible study every Thursday night so I am not
available) I would attend.  I try to take part in the discussions on
this list and help where I can.  I have come to deeply respect the
technical expertise of many on this list, even those I find a bit
irritating from time to time.  There is a wealth of knowledge and talent
on this list.  If we resort to banning participants because they wish to
attempt to self-regulate our communication, then I am greatly saddened.
There is an old proverb that says, "Iron sharpens iron, and one man
sharpens another."  I would like to point out that iron only sharpens
iron with friction.
--
john-thomas
------