[GRLUG] fax server

George (Skip) VerDuin verduin at ameritech.net
Mon May 12 19:03:30 EDT 2008

Have I got a "deal" for you Phillip...

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 16:40 -0400, Phillip Hebenstreit wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone setup a fax server recently and if so could you make any
> recommendations to me?
Crossing the lines between the two technologies [FAX & data] does work
and has been used maybe ten(+) years to advantage in spots.  In 2008 it
appears to be a pretty small niche.  If FAX scratches an itch for you,
go for it -- it is proven technology.

Your question jogged my memory that I have two *old* fax cards that need
a new home -- or need recycling.  One is a Panasonic FX-BM89, the other
is a Hayes JT Fax 9600, software included but may be outdated.  The card
interface is ISA so hardware may not be useful to you either.  These are
removals from a Dell server with SCO (douse the flames) UNIX in 2001
when my business sold.

The server itself is on it's way to recycling, but could be diverted in
the next few days if it found a new home.  It includes a 16-port RS-232
interface that I have tried for years to find use for without joy.

Our application was to create faxes from data spit out of the vertical
admin. package we used, and to spool incoming faxes for display prior to
printing.  This pre-dated Internet data transfer, and is now a
superseded technology.  I was quite pleased with the operation, but the
down side was that it was too abstract for non-computer users who needed
a paper to scrawl on.

So -- if you (or anyone else for that matter) don't already have
hardware these could be yours for the asking.  If no one finds use for
this hardware it will end up in the bin.

Warmest regards from here,
George