[GRLUG] Social norms

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Sun May 11 11:09:23 EDT 2008

What is the social norm.  Isn't that where the normal is commonly
agreed upon?  Is placing responses interspersed throughout the e-mail
commonly agreed upon?

Personally I don't like having to scroll through the whole e-mail to
look for responses.  Sometimes, the response is hidden by the ">" of
the previous empty line.  I prefer top posting.  No scrolling, the

Since this group is divided on this topic, could we consider one way
or the other a "social norm"?  I don't think so.  I think we need to
just overlook the differing styles of responses and discuss what those

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 7:45 AM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
>  > Why do we have to start these things.. I still prefer top post but this
>  >  is only trouble
>
>  Because, as a community, we have no mandatory education system to
>  facilitate passing on our social norms and values.  Thoroughly
>  self-motivated people can still obtain that information, but as we've
>  seen, quite a few people haven't.  So...  a question for the sociology
>  students out there...  how do societies - cultures - enforce their
>  social norms?  (and they _do_ enforce them)
>

>  Through ridicule and loss of respect.
>
>  It would be great if everyone got a decent FOSS community education,
>  but there will always be someone who hasn't.  Flamewars and occasional
>  flare-ups are simply our culture's way of catching the stragglers.
>

>  --tim

Share and Enjoy
Ben