[GRLUG] 64-bit Linux

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sun May 11 10:36:15 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 7:45 AM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> Why do we have to start these things.. I still prefer top post but this
>  is only trouble

Because, as a community, we have no mandatory education system to
facilitate passing on our social norms and values.  Thoroughly
self-motivated people can still obtain that information, but as we've
seen, quite a few people haven't.  So...  a question for the sociology
students out there...  how do societies - cultures - enforce their
social norms?  (and they _do_ enforce them)

Through ridicule and loss of respect.

It would be great if everyone got a decent FOSS community education,
but there will always be someone who hasn't.  Flamewars and occasional
flare-ups are simply our culture's way of catching the stragglers.

--tim