[GRLUG] Split multiplage postscript into individual pages

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:36:23 EDT 2008

Oh, I can split/convert to PDF/TIFF alright.  The problem is that both
PS and PDF output have (what I call) "binary" output like this:

12 0 obj<</Length 1033/Filter/FlateDecode>>stream
H‰ì—ÝoÚHÀßù+æÑœb³ßÞå͉
b†3nN§´ª,âR7|D†6Êýõ7k'ÀC
A¢:)—•Œm<;žÙùyf¶ÕQ˜,§Y£uNBö­A€ÏCÁ}º  ¹gp

So all my text is gone.  The ultimate goal here is to split a large
file into individual pages then look for certain text within the page
to rename the file as such:  "search for ClientNum in PS, rename
doc_page0003.ps to clientnum_page0003.ps" then convert that to TIFF.
The format of the original PS file must be non-standard, which
obsfucates most "ps2..." utilities, but Adobe Acrobat (Distiller) can
process/convert to PDF just fine.

PDFTK looks promising though.  I'm gonna check it out.  Thanks!

Filename: pool/universe/p/pdftk/pdftk_1.40-2_i386.deb
Size: 939276
MD5sum: 2143d5315002c73d889ab3ca211bcfea

 If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic stapler-remover,
 hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and X-Ray-glasses. Pdftk is a
 simple tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. Keep one in the
 top drawer of your desktop and use it to:
  - Merge PDF documents
  - Split PDF pages into a new document
  - Decrypt input as necessary (password required)
  - Encrypt output as desired
  - Fill PDF Forms with FDF Data and/or Flatten Forms
  - Apply a Background Watermark
  - Report PDF on metrics, including metadata and bookmarks
  - Update PDF Metadata
  - Attach Files to PDF Pages or the PDF Document
  - Unpack PDF Attachments
  - Burst a PDF document into single pages
  - Uncompress and re-compress page streams
  - Repair corrupted PDF (where possible)

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> or ps2pdf

Ubber::Geek