[GRLUG] Loose AC jack on Dell laptop repair

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sat May 3 12:18:03 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 4:10 PM, John Harig <radiodurans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi my brother is suffering a loose AC jack on his old
>  inspiron 5150 laptop so it wont charge. I dont know
>  much about this but I would guess he would need to get
>  a new Jack and solder it on, something I know nothing
>  about. Googling I found the following:
>
>  http://pomeroycomputing.blogspot.com/2007/10/dell-inspiron-5150.html
>
>  Any ideas to get it repaired?

Invest in a quality soldering iron.  Like this one:

http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/WES51/ALLSPEC/prodinfo/w3path=cat

Ladyada recommends it here: http://www.ladyada.net/library/equipt/

I've worked with two, and I have to say that they'll allow a novice
fairly excellent results.  $30 Radio shack irons are nowhere near as
forgiving.

--tim