[GRLUG] (no subject)

George (Skip) VerDuin verduin at ameritech.net
Thu May 1 11:03:29 EDT 2008

Thank you for putting words to this Bill...

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 10:00 -0400, Bill_Raterink at spartanstores.com
wrote:

> Members of GRLUG...
>
> I was out of the office yesterday afternoon, so when I arrived this
> morning, I had 98 emails to catch up on.  92 were from GRLUG.
> Some were about cat5 cables & a few were about spam, but the vast
> majority were concerning a dialog about a hostile attitude.
Seldom have I seen such expression of testosterone.  I too found the
"hostile" thread late in it's development and came away with similar
feelings as yourself.  You have done yeoman service in presenting a view
that I have little to add to.

My small addition is to underscore two of you points with a slightly
different perspective.

First, I agree professor did bring much upon himself by not heeding the
underlying advise of being in "the wrong spot" for the question he
posed.  OK, the bar thing is in fact "cute", but as you point out humor
is based on experiences perhaps not available to professor and while he
held out his disability as a shield it is not relevant.  I find it sad
his tenacity is blunted by his narrowness of focus.

Second, this group is selective in response and it is sad commentary to
spill so much emotional content over features that even the O/S author
says should be invisible to the computer user.  I too find Linux
superior in many respects to all other offerings, but like others before
me I'll vote with my pocket book and fight for the right of choice.  Let
he who makes choices wrestle with the consequences, and let those who
bring product to market be encumbered with suitable support.

I'm sad you had to resort to other venues for the answers to your
question since this group does in fact seem to contain the talent for a
straight forward response.  Like all other organizations, success or
failure rests with the participants in the venture.  If I were to pray,
my prayer would be for the success of GRLUG as an oasis of knowledge
dispensed by willing partners in a venture that taps the mentoring
spirit in gentile participants.  Attitudes like your own go a long way
toward that vision.

Warmest regards from here,
George