[GRLUG] (no subject)

Professor Inuyasha profinuyasha at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:23:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:00 AM,  <Bill_Raterink at spartanstores.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I had 98 emails to catch up on.  92 were from GRLUG.
> Some were about cat5 cables & a few were about spam, but the vast majority
> were concerning a dialog about a hostile attitude.
>
> While I'm neither qualified to address the Vista issue NOR the purpose of
> this Linux Users Group, I do have a few thoughts I'd like to offer.
> Please be advised...these observations are in not in support of either camp,
> but rather intended to offer some helpful insight that may have been missed
> in the conversation. After having read the entire thread in sequence, I've
> come to a few conclusions regarding GRLUG & Linux.
>
> A little background.... I am extremely new to linux.  I've managed to
> install a version from a LiveCD and then promptly render it unusable. I'm
> about 2 weeks into the entire process.  I use WindowsXP for nearly all my
> computing & am by no means, a guru in THAT either.  I am currently
> "registered" at about 5-6 forums/user groups/support sites/ etc. and this is
> only within the last year or so, so this on-line collaboration is also quite
> new to me.
>
> Now...
> I posted a question on a linux forum & after a week of not even a response,
> I "asked if I could ask" the question on another (language) forum.
> This showed both the courtesy the site deserved, and the preparedness on my
> part to abide by the forums reply.  This was not done here on the GRLUG
> site.
>
> I was "politely" told that I should go ahead & ask in the chat room, but not
> make it a formal post because while this was not a Linux forum, there was a
> lot of linux knowledge here & they'd be happy to offer what they could.
> They too, pointed me to several sites that could offer additional help.
> They also warned me to "be prepared for some good natured tongue lashings".
> This set the stage completely. All expectations were up front & on the
> table.
>
> What this illustrated to me was a community that is willing to go the extra
> steps to help a (by this time) very distressed fellow student of the *nix
> world.  Based on the dialog, I feel I'm the very person the GRLUG is trying
> to attract.  I'm attempting to move to the Linux world, and require some
> "mentoring in the process".  However, I'm now left wondering if this group
> can... 1)really offer the help I'm going to need, and  2) if it will be
> worth the price in having to deal with the personality issues.
>
> I think the professor made some profound misjudgements, but the groups
> "collective" image is at stake with EVERY reply, & I didn't see anywhere,
> where that was even taken into consideration.  Sure, you think Linux is
> better than Windows, and even saying so is not harmful in itself, but if the
> humor is not explicitly stated, then you run the risk of offending folks.
> The fallout is just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I still dont care which OS is better, I only want get OS to become
100% stable without any BSOD

> In the question I referenced earlier, I was "chastised severely" for running
> Linux on an "such antique box".   The idea that it was all in fun, was never
> a question....maybe that's just me, but maybe it's also that the folks there
> understand that the written word holds no tone of voice, hence the
> proliferation of emoticons.  The are always 2,3,4 ways to say the same
> thing, and even if someone like the professor fires the first flamethrower,
> we owe it to the rest of the community to give him/her the benefit of the
> doubt.  When we don't "turn the other cheek" we start the downward spiral
> that only can end in hurt feelings.  The "Where's the payback in it" reply
> was way off  base.  THAT is not why we help each other.
>
> Most people would never knowingly adopt a belligerent attitude towards the
> very people they're asking for help.  We must consider this persons
> frustration level, before adding to it by sending a retaliatory response.  A
> simple "We're sorry, but that doesn't belong in this forum" even if it has
> to be repeated by 2-3 folks, is a better, more professional way of handling
> this type of issue.  To he "outside world" (ie. me) this dialog appeared to
> be a bunch of gamers bullying the kid in the horned rimmed glasses.
>
> ...& professor, you blew it.  These folks here WANT to help you, & they
> offered you what they could, so....
> if you ever do this again, "I breaka you face".  ;-)

no offense, only 3 people helped me, I only want to get rid of BSOD

"I breaka you face"
Who would say it?

by the way, I've found some gamer in GRLUG so they can help me to solve issue

> Just my thoughts... thanks for listening.  I hope this "opinion" neither
> offends nor empowers one side or the other, but rather offers that all
> important "disinterested 3rd party observation".

people who went to GRLUG meeting, they recognized me that I am deaf
and they just get deal with it