[GRLUG] Grub Error 18

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 14:08:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:19 AM, Deepan <codeshepherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>  I have installed Fedora on Macbook. It works fine
>  when I boot it in native mode. However, when I
>  boot it via parallels, I get the following error.
>  Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum
>  supported by BIOS.  I do understand that this
>  error is thrown when Grub tries to read an address
>  beyond the end of BIOS translated area. Is this a
>  problem with Grub or BIOS ? My boot partition is
>  the first partition.

It's difficult to place blame.  On one hand, Grub doesn't have the
luxury of containing enough code to access hard disks without using
BIOS.  Indeed, that's partly why BIOS is there: to provide a generic
interface on a variety of hardware platforms.

On the other hand, the spec for BIOS is almost as old as I am, and it
would break backward comatibility to change it significantly.  That's
why Intel developed EFI.

Would it be possible for you to use an EFI-based bootloader instead?