[GRLUG] Hosting ideas

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 21:27:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>  On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 22:47 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>
>  I have a $50/month colo solution for my 1U rack server.
>
>  Its my machine... do anything I want.
>
>  $50/month gives me power and 1000GB of transfer per month.
>
>  Its nice.
>
>  www.waveform.net
>
>  But... be warned, though they ARE very reliable as far as overall
>  service... Response time can be a PITA.
>
>  $50/month also includes "mid-tower" machines. As long as you meet the
>  size and power reqs... you are good.

I've been looking at VPS options from places like Slicehost.*  Similar
to having a hosted box, but cheaper on the initial investment and
maintenance costs.  Colo or VPS, controlling the OS image has the
additional benefit that I could get around a frustrating bug in
Apache's mod_rewrite. (try navigating to
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/C%2B%2B, then try navigating to
http://rosettacode.org/w/index.php?title=C%2B%2B )

*  I also like the idea of Slicehost because they have a "Slashdot
clause" on their faq
(http://www.slicehost.com/faq#what-if-i-go-over-my-bandwidth-amount)...I
lost my first hosting solution due to Slashdot. :-)