[GRLUG] Some Viruses Come Pre-Installed

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Mar 17 09:57:54 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 05:11:11PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 4:48 PM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net>
> > wrote:
[snip]
> > >  You could make those nice restore cd/dvd's that they never bother to
> > >  include any more... Use it with Linux, if it need factory work, restore
> > >  the original os.
> >
> > Unless the factory work makes restoration impossible.  This could
> > happen in the case of a bad CD-ROM drive, bad hard drive, or a variety
> > of mainboard failures.  True, you might be able to put the hard
> > drive(assuming it works) in a different box, but that's still more
> > work than a simple restoration.
> >

> While not included,  you can call HP and
> obtain backup disks.  It's an ordeal.  And
> you will probably find yourself in India at
> some point.  But I've done it.
>
> Make sure you have a serial number handy.

The HP laptop has a nearly twelve gigabyte partition containing files
for a factory-restoration.  The nice thing is the partition is not
filled up so one could include essential stuff necessary for a
restoration (such as antivirus/antispyware software, Firefox, etc.).
During boot there is an option to restore (F11).  I can burn a DVD of
the restoration software if I would like.
--
john-thomas
------