[GRLUG] Video RAM as swap

Collin collink at kkmfg.com
Wed Jun 4 14:49:54 EDT 2008

Michael Mol wrote:
> This looks like fun:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Use_memory_on_video_card_as_swap

Yeah, it's possible to do but AFAIK only really a decent idea if your
video card happens to be PCI-E. AGP cards have reasonably quick upload
bandwidth to the card but bad download bandwidth. Same goes with vanilla
PCI. Now, on PCI-E you could conceivably get something like 4-8GB/s out
of the video card for bus bandwidth. Though, I suppose a PCI-E port
isn't really a "bus" so my terminology is probably a little
inappropriate for the situation. It's easier for comparison purposes though.