[GRLUG] Video RAM as swap

networkman at triton.net networkman at triton.net
Fri Jun 6 02:43:24 EDT 2008

In a server environment, ECC is often employed an additional measure of
protection or security of data since it is expected that the data is of
some considerable importance.  But the SOHO market often has no such
measures in place, and you would be hard pressed to find ECC memory in any
of the consumer grade PCs and devices currently sold in the market.  And
that is what many organizations look to when trying to put together
relatively low-cost "super-computer" or cluster solutions.  The fact that,
dare I say, all of the PCs and notebooks that our own members are using
for all of their needs do not employ ECC technology actually doesn't give
me much cause for concern given the high level of quality control in the
components being used.