[GRLUG] Kernel help

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Tue Jun 3 01:02:15 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:17:52PM -0400, Colin Vallance wrote:
> The disk I'm using is a 1GB flash drive with a single partition.  The
> method I used to install is listed here (http://pyramid.metrix.net/trac/wiki/InstallingPyramid/DD
> ) but obviously the present working kernel sits on that same partition.

Flash media sometimes reports odd geometry.  Either grub or the BIOS is
handling it incorrectly.  Check the output of the "geometry" command
("geometry (hd0)" probably) in grub and make sure the numbers add up.
Based on my search results, you can try overriding the geometry in grub,
to something more like 125/255/63, in the grub setup procedure.  There
wasn't any good news in the search results though.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>