[GRLUG] Certification

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Thu Jul 24 14:24:40 EDT 2008

> In my experience, nothing compares to getting involved, and taking a
> leadership role in an actual community project.  It builds real
> credibility, connections, and skills that shine through both a resume
> and google.
>
> Nothing else works nearly as well.

Good advice, and it's very true...  but sometimes when you're trying to
get a job, the HR person screening resumes has been told to look for
"Linux-certified" people.  In that case, having a cert is the difference
between getting an interview and having your resume tossed.  Nothing can
replace hands-on experience, but sometimes you really need that piece of
paper, too.

Get the Linux+ certification to start.  That's my advice.  The test is
supposed to be distribution-neutral (but it focuses on RPM, which is
kind of weird), and the exam itself wasn't too difficult.  There are
plenty of study materials out there, too, which is nice.

The RHCE, in my opinion, is actually a great test of whether or not you
know what you're doing (when using Red Hat products, of course).  The
written exam was decent, and the lab exams are a good test of your
skills.  There's a configuration exam and a troubleshooting exam, and
they're totally hands-on.  You're presented with a broken machine
(actually, several of them) and told to make it work, without being told
what's wrong with it, for instance.  Good stuff.  It's expensive,
though, so you want to be sure you'll pass before you attempt it.

I haven't taken the LPI exams, but I hear good things about them.  I
think Linux+ tends to be more recognized, though, simply because it has
CompTIA behind it and people know what the "+" exams are.  It's a good
place to start, and it isn't too much of an investment.

Hope that helps,

-Ben