[GRLUG] Dual Monitor - Control Display

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:21:14 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 9:35 AM, Bill Creswell <billcreswell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use a micro distro, like damn small linux, to run a display
> that would open a different html window (or program window) on each monitor
> in kiosk mode. On Windows, I accomplish this with the Matrox software.
>
> How do I accomplish this with linux?
>
> I would love to have a live cd, that would run the display automatically on
> startup.
>
> Any pointers?

You could take a tiling window manager like wmii or ion3, and use its
configuration file to spawn browsers on each screen.  I don't know
that Firefox would work, though; You'd need a browser that would spawn
a second window when the command is run twice.  Of course, nothing
prevents you from runing Firefox on one screen, and any other
Gecko-based browser (e.g. Galeon) on the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiling_window_manager

You're likely going to need to fiddle with the X configuration,
though, in order to predict which screen goes on which monitor.  Have
you given much thought to input devices?  Or is that not a factor?