[GRLUG] SFLUG Donating Open Source computers to schools

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 15:22:58 EST 2008

Why not just install LTSP on one 16 Core Server, get a bunch of PXE
nics. And boot them all at once, just to see if the money you saved on
HardDrives was worth it. Plus the electric bill would be a lot less.

Just my two cents, but maintenance would sure be a lot easier if you
didn't have to upgrade the kernels in 500 machines, cause someone
forgot about that dang ol vmsplice().

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Casey Dubois <cdubois at n-vint.com> wrote:
>  >  [snip]
>  >
>  > >
>  >  >  I really like this idea and was wondering if the GRLUG would have interest in doing this type of thing on a smaller basis.
>  >  >
>  >  >  How about if we start with 100 machines to load and donate?
>  >  >
>  >  >  Any interest?
>  >
>  >  I'd be interested.  I'll also check with the GRCC Computer Club and
>  >  the ATC computer lab folks, to see if we can pull some volunteers from
>  >  the college.
>
>  Something to think about, though...Where would these computers be
>  going?  Not every school is going to want to add externally prepared
>  computers to their list of equipment they need to maintain.
>

>  --
>  :wq

In vino veritas.
        [In wine there is truth.]