[GRLUG] SFLUG Donating Open Source computers to schools

Casey Dubois cdubois at n-vint.com
Fri Feb 29 14:36:10 EST 2008

Hello GRLUG,

The SF-LUG has a unique install fest this Saturday.

We're trying to donate 500 Ubuntu computers to Bay Area schools this SATURDAY, March 1... and we need your help!

Can you lend a hand by volunteering to install Ubuntu?  Signup to volunteer at one of the four locations (San Francisco, San Mateo, Berkeley or Novato) here:

   http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Installfest

Untangle and the ACCRC refurbishing hundreds of older/discarded computers that the ACCRC has collected with Ubuntu and donating them to Northern California schools.  We need support from the F/OSS community to help with the installs.  We have automated as much of the install as possible so anyone can help regardless of their experience level. Of course we'll get error messages so we need gurus also!  ...And the Mozilla Foundation is bringing pizza & schwag to each location!  Thanks Mozilla!

Installfest for Schools homepage:

   http://www.untangle.com/installfest

I really like this idea and was wondering if the GRLUG would have interest in doing this type of thing on a smaller basis.

How about if we start with 100 machines to load and donate?

Any interest?

Sincerely,
Casey M. DuBois
N-VINT, Inc.
3240 Hanna Lake Industrial Park Dr. SE, Caledonia, MI 49316
616-656-5500 Office
866-337-2686 Direct
AOL IM: CaseyNVINT
cdubois at n-vint.com

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."