[GRLUG] Interaction: NFS and mount loop

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Feb 29 09:41:58 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:28 -0500, George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:
> I ran into something interesting this weekend.
> What I think I *may* have learned is this:
>    When an .iso image is mounted,
>      the internal contents of the .iso may *NOT* be accessed via NFS.
> That was a surprise...

[snip]
> To extract the .iso material, I did:
> ...# mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 dl/file.iso spool
> ...# cp -a spool spool2
> What I find to be interesting is that all commands from the command line
> have equal access to both spool and spool2, and that NFS could serve
> from spool2 but not from spool.  What it means to me is that:
>   A) "NFS" and "mount -o loop" have a bad interaction
>   B) I messed up the parameter set for my work
>
> Does anyone have further insight into my experience?  Did I use wrong
> parms on the mount or on NFS?  Is installer really excluded from access
> to the contents of a .iso image by way NFS after mounting it?

Okay, with NFS and exporting an ISO loopback mounted filesystem, you
have to force it to be shared as read-only for everything and all
quashing:

	/exports/iso/fc.iso    (ro,insecure,all_squash)

That is assuming you want EVERYONE to be able to mount it.

> After the FC experience, I did install debian via NFS from a mirror
> somewhere on Internet starting from a floppy disk boot.  Presently I am
> as I try various configurations.
>
> In any case -- If installer "should" be able to access a directory
> mounted from a .iso image, I think I will report this to FC as a bug...

That Debian mirror is HUGE. I'd think twice. (of course we already know
how you fared on that)
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2