[GRLUG] Remote Control PC from web link

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:09:33 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> > It costs $2000...Does anyone know of anything opensource that could
> > work on Linux and Windows?
> > Where all the client would have to do is click on a link from a web
> > page to begin.
> >
> > Any details or links would be greatly appreciated. I am aware of
> > realVNC and gotomycomputer, but was looking for something that works
> > more like bomgar where I could turn IT support into a business or
> > offer support to my family if they agree to switch to Linux ;)

Before DynDNS and such were user-friendly, I set up a simple php web page
that emailed to me the IP address of whoever visited the page. Then I would
give my family a shortcut/bookmark to that page. They would call me up
letting me know that they needed help, then visit the bookmarked page. I
would then VNC or SSH into their computer and fix things.