[GRLUG] One HUGE software repository

George (Skip) VerDuin verduin at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 26 22:45:58 EST 2008

It looks like I made my next mistake yesterday.  The debian mirror is an
awesome thing.  Yet I'm far enough into it that I hate to cut bait
now...

I mentioned earlier that when I rebuilt my local system repeatedly for
practice it looked to me like having a local mirror would save wear and
tear on my DSL link and not irritate the debian guys.  The systems I
built took a couple hrs for the basic system and a couple more for the
desktop build.  I am now at 25GB and in the "i"s headed toward "z" after
a day [16(+)hrs] connected by rsync to the MSU repository.  And that
statistic is based on a long laundry list of exclusions from the full
set of materials.  This moment is not a full 24hr stint yet because the
transfer fell apart some time last night for unknown reasons.

I'm not certain where I went wrong yet, but after reading repository
documentation I expected maybe DSL hrs of 4X times a full desktop system
load to have the library local.  It may be more like 12X.

But quite frankly I probably would consume fewer DSL hrs building from a
Internet repository VS bringing it here.  *Not* maybe well done by yours
truly.

For anyone else in the group considering similar madness -- if you want
to share in it I can now claim to now have some experience?

Warmest regards from here,
George