[GRLUG] Self introduction and plea

Faeren Madza faeren at faeren.com
Sun Feb 10 21:13:29 EST 2008

Hello Skip,

I don't know if this will help you any, but here goes.

The other day I tried to revive a really old HDD with a build of SUSE
10 from a couple of years back but as soon as the kernel loaded, it
would stall.

After looking carefully at the logs, I saw that it was expecting my
storage devices to be /dev/hda* and not /dev/sda* like the new machine
was referring to them. Probably had to do with the new IDE controller.

Anyway, I booted up a rescue disc and changed the references of
/dev/hda to /dev/sda in a couple of spots in /etc and /boot. After
that, most things worked fine, but like with yours, several things are
wonky. In my situation though, it's pretty simple, I know all the
things that are failing are failing because of hard-coded references
to /dev/hda*

Perhaps you can look for similar wrong hardware references?

HTH.

Faeren.