[GRLUG] Hey look! A linux topic!

Lee Forest lee8oi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:10:35 EST 2008

I just thought I would throw in a little something for our LUG. I"ve
recently decided to try out Linux Mint. And to my surprise it is a
rather improved spinoff of ubuntu. Uses Ubuntu repositories. Comes
with the media codecs, and dvd support. An upgraded menu. They even
improved the windows based installer(wubi?) And comes with APTonCD
which appears to be an app that helps you construct an installation cd
using packages you have installed. I've actually heard that the system
requirements were alittle higher then Ubuntu's, but in reality I'm not
noticing a big difference on my 700mhz processor, with 512 ram. Tho I
usually end up turning off a few services to improve performance. So
for those of you who enjoy using ubuntu, Maybe Mint might be a nice
change of scenario. I know its been rather enjoyable for me. Mint is
the first distro since 06 to actually replace my usual ubuntu setup
full time. I"m also dual booting with mandriva, but I find myself
disappointed with it. (try installing 'the mana world' using an rpm
based system, it sucks). "from freedom came elegance" hats off to ya,
mint guys :O)

P.S. I"m 85% deaf with cochlear deafness......So I understand the deaf
comments I been reading, And farewell greg. I really can't blame ya
for moving on. this group has definity wandered on to other things,
even sometimes becoming offensive.