[GRLUG] Now I;m getting a bit ticked.

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Mon Dec 29 10:18:08 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:08:31AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> >> Try searching Google for "plonk."  I'll give you a hint: it's the first
> >> result shown.  Here's another hint: it's usenet term.
> >
> > Was I the only one who, around 14 years ago, upon discovering the FOSS
> > / *nix / Usenet / geek culture, read about it's history - jargon file
> > included?
> >
> > Knowing something about one's culture seems a necessary requirement
> > toward participation in said culture.
>
> I'd always thought of PLONK as onomatopoeia; It never occurred to me
> that it was an acronym.

The Wiki article says the aconymn is really a backronym.  It *is*
onomatopeia.  It's supposed to be the sound of someone hitting one's
killfile.  It's rather like the sound of an enemy Goa'uld hitting the
SGC's iris on the Stargate.  Except it doesn't make a sound.  I keep
typing, for example, `cat [username] > /dev/null' and I don't hear a
thing.  Must be an ALSA thing.
--
john-thomas
------