[GRLUG] Failure in encrypted sockets and tunnels

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Tue Dec 16 11:00:00 EST 2008

Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm just waiting till they start monitoring the actual traffic to catch
>> people using other ports for outgoing mail. Gotta love vpn.
>>

> I recall reading about how a forensic scientist was able to detect
> file types on encrypted drive shares by recognizing changes in data
> statistics due to different kinds of data.  I have to wonder how soon
> it will be before filter and throttle vendors apply the same
> principles to classifying encrypted streams, be they ssh, SSL or
> encrypted VPN.

Yes, the problem is that they THINK that they can do it. To some extent
they can now. But just wait until the application programmers start
throwing in randomization. Pretty soon the arms race will have to go one
of two ways: The ISP's and gov't can give up or they can block encrypted
traffic. There's no two ways about it. They have to eventually do one or
the other.