[GRLUG] new Comcast mail blocking?

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Tue Dec 16 10:45:28 EST 2008

Greg Folkert wrote:
> [snip]
>
> My problem is distance from the CO. I am at 19,900 effective cable feet
> from the CO. Even though I'm really 14K wire feet.
>
> This means I cannot have anything from a DSL provider except iDSL... or
> DSL over ISDN (Dual-B+D channel) at 144Kbits/sec. Which using DSL over
> that reduces the effective speed to about 128Kbits/sec.
>
> Heck, I'd have to pay for the ISDN and DSL service. I'd rather just pay
> for an ISDN ISP service and get 144Kbits/sec... with my own ISDN modem
> (I have 3 already)
>
> I'd be perfectly happy with AT&T's Uverse except for the fact limiting
> is coming into play already, and AT&T does have the direct line to the
> CIA/NSA thing... so my comfort level isn't very good. In general my
> comfort level isn't very good on these things.

how bad are the limits? Given the ease in which one can burn bandwidth
and that it does cost the provider, I think it was only a matter time
before they put them in (not that I'm supporting limits). Are you locked
in to Uverse (contract)?

I've looked at Uverse as an alternative to cable. Comcast may suck but
it works and can be cheep (you can keep the promo rates in effect if you
threaten to cancel and renegotiate when they run out) You can also get
around the blocked ports. I'm just waiting till they start monitoring
the actual traffic to catch people using other ports for outgoing mail.
Gotta love vpn.

Has anyone used both Comcast and Uverse and can compare? Would anyone
dump Uverse for Comcast?