[GRLUG] new Comcast mail blocking?

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Fri Dec 12 16:09:29 EST 2008

Tim Schmidt wrote:

>> The actual point I was trying to make, however, is that businesses
>> making business decisions (the merit of those decisions notwithstanding)
>> is not in the same category as government censorship or government civil
>> rights abuses.  I was not trying to argue whether Comcast is or should
>> or shouldn't be a government-sponsored monopoly.  Because it is a
>> privately-held (even if publically-traded) business, it can make
>> whatever decisions it wants to make.  That's not draconian.
>>

> It _is_ when the government doesn't allow competition.  A private
> business can be every bit as much an arm of the government as a local
> / state / federal agency.

I'd say that this is my opinion as well. The government has given
telephone and cable companies access to public poles and is very VERY
resistant to allowing anyone else to run more cabling. In many cases
they've even subsidized the running of the lines. Now we're stuck with
our government sanctioned monopolies. And those companies are nearly as
evil and self serving as the government itself. So we're screwed but we
have some hope that the corrupt government might accidentally do
something good for us for a change and force the carriers to not screw us.

This highly cynical opinion was brought to you by Ed's Pizza. Call Ed's
Pizza for all your Pizza needs.