[GRLUG] Virtual OS in Linux

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 10 22:20:40 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 19:46 -0500, Rob Steenwyk wrote:
> "The major downside in a Linux environment is you can only manage ESXi
> from a Windows box, as the VMware Infrastructure client is Windows
> only.

> Yup, that stinks. My co-worker contacted them about this and was told
> that it was being worked on. So who knows, maybe we'll see a Linux
> version in a month or a year. VMware thinks pretty highly of
> themselves, and don't seem to be all that customer focused.

I don't see any grounds for this claim;  what they don't do is talk
about products/projects that don't exist,  there isn't any VMware
vapor-ware.  They announced there would be a replacement for virtual
center client/server at the last VMware world called vCenter that will
be a LINUX based virtual appliance.

<quote
url="http://dcsblog.burtongroup.com/data_center_strategies/2008/09/vmware-finds-it.html">
VMware announced that the next vCenter Server (formerly Virtual Center
Server) will be a Linux-based virtual machine appliances. In addition,
the virtual infrastructure client software will be able to run on Linux
and Mac operating systems. These two steps are placing VMware on a path
to remove its dependencies on Windows operating systems to host virtual
infrastructure management products. I expect all products in VMware's
management portfolio to follow a similar path.
</quote>

Our communications with VMware have been very similar to communications
with other "Enterprise" software houses.  They move in the lumbering
herky-jerky manner of a large organization that has to guard itself on
many sides.

Anyway, it makes sense for them to do a rewrite of Virtual Center.
Virtual Center is the cause of most VMware issues and is, to put it
kindly... crap.