[GRLUG] Disk benchmarking (WAS: Solid State Drives)

Christopher Wieringa cwieri39 at calvin.edu
Thu Dec 4 14:28:01 EST 2008

>> hdparm numbers are interesting, but don't tell you much about how
>> something is going to perform in real-life.
>
>I don't mind running better benchmarks, but I'll need some tool
>recommendations in the next few hours, before I install the final OS.

bonnie++ is very nice for testing performance of disks (and different file systems for that matter).  Make sure you set it to make files greater than 2 times the amount of RAM in your system so you don't run into any kernel caching of files in RAM.  I'm not sure what live CDs it is on, but it's relatively easy to get and install/compile (it is in the main Ubuntu channel for 8.10).

Chris