[GRLUG] Disk benchmarking (WAS: Solid State Drives)

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:28:53 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:
>>
>> I happened to run some tests tonight while rebuilding my desktop
>> computer. (Assembling a new box out of new and old components, adding
>> a new drive and moving data from the old drives around)
>>
>> The command I ran tested sequential read performance for the first
>> gigabyte of the disk:
>> dd if=(device) of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
>>
>> My old 40GB IDE IBM Deskstar clocked in at 47 MB/s average, while my
>> somewhat newer 7200RPM SATA2 500GB Seagate Barracuda clocked in at
>> 67MB/s.  I didn't test my new 1TB SAMSUNG drive, as it was in the
>> middle of an offline SMART test, and I wasn't sure how much the self
>> test would impact the benchmark.
>>
>> I don't have a good way of testing seek times, though.  Does anyone
>> know of a good, free hard drive benchmark tool I can run from an
>> Ubuntu live CD?  I'm not going to build a Bart PE disk for the
>> purpose, nor can I put the drives in a Windows box.
>>

> What does hdparm -tT return you?

root at ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   3268 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1635.05 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  272 MB in  3.01 seconds =  90.22 MB/sec
root at ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   3168 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1585.34 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  178 MB in  3.03 seconds =  58.68 MB/sec
root at ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 Timing cached reads:   3126 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1563.82 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  136 MB in  3.03 seconds =  44.87 MB/sec
root at ubuntu:/home/ubuntu#

/dev/sdb is a 1TB SAMSUNG HD103UI I got for $100 on Newegg Friday.