[GRLUG] ISP Review

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Wed Dec 3 17:03:59 EST 2008

>> Anyways, onto the topic at hand:
>>
>> I'm contemplating a switch to a different ISP for my business. We're
>> talking T1s not Fiber or DSL/Cable.
>>
>> Wondering what - if any - experience you have had with the following
>> companies:
>> Iserv
>> ISG
>> TDS
>> AT&T (yes they own all the lines, but what about them as the actual
>> provider)
>> Trivalent
>> USSignal
>> Others?
>>

>> My experience:
>> Iserv - quality service, quick break to fix response, low latency,
>> fewest hops to my end user through their network
>> ISG - slow service, acceptable latency, most hops to my end user through
>> their network
>> TDS - dirt cheap (considering going this route, concerned about network
>> quality/service and customer service.)

We've used TDS Metrocom for T-1 service and they were pretty decent. Our
circuit basically never went done in the two years we had them. We
currently have Cavalier (used to be LDMI) and while the service was
reasonable they overbilled us and then bawked at fixing it. Also the
circuit had way more outages than TDS. We're just about to go with AT&T.
Currently it's being installed in stages. They don't seem to be able to
find their butt with both hands, directions, and a GPS. They've screwed
our order up pretty bad so far. But, they seem to be the best as far as
service options go. We have both phone lines and data running over T-1
and they are the first carrier we've seen who actually support
terminating the lines into a SIP trunk instead of analog FXS ports.