[GRLUG] Open Source Business Intelligence

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Dec 2 09:01:47 EST 2008

> > My simple definition: Tool that converts data into information, useful for
> > business management.
> When dealing with enterprise data mining applications like Pentaho I
> wouldn't suggest it unless you're employed with a company that has
> Terabytes worth of data that has been warehouse and needs to be
> processed for digital dashboards, and other corporate summaries.
> You could make a career out of learning how to use Pentaho. If your
> looking into it because there Open Source there is also SpagoBI.
> http://www.spagoworld.org/

That does look interesting, I see:

* Improves the efficiency of all the actors involved in integration
processes: analysts, planners, developers and managers working with
Spagic; a team can model some process and another one can define
technical concepts with specific tools (JBI SA, BPEL, mapping, ETL).
*The graphical environment, Eclipse Spagic Studio, allows the
utilisation of a unique interface to define processes, create services
and to configure the platform. Using Spagic Studio it is possible to
start with BPMN visual tool, to use specific designer (such as BPEL and
ETL designer) and to manage the development activity (WSDL generation,
rules definition, mediation, custom services).

Have you used it's ETL capabilities?  Do they provide BPEL actions for
transform and save-to-SQL?

Just glancing through I don't see much mention of listeners.  Can a
route be initiated via a watched directory or FTP?